What legitimacy does emlyon business school and Mines Saint Etienne have on the subject and as “the right place to be”?
Mines Saint-Etienne and emlyon business school share a strong focus on the technical nature of big data and the implications of artificial intelligence in the establishment of new business models and the transformation of organizations. Research works and the challenges shared with business partners show that the subject is central and both communities of schools are engaged.
The Artificial Intelligence in Management Institute at emlyon business school is a research institute dedicated to understanding the opportunities and challenges of artificial intelligence in management. It focuses on three areas:
- Teaching, to prepare our students to master and manage AI technologies.
- The development of a network of companies that support the adoption and implementation of AI technologies.
- Research, centered on how AI and related technologies impact jobs, organizations and consumer behavior.
To develop this last area, the Institute is host to two independent research centers:
- The AIM Research Center on Artificial Intelligence in Value Creation, led by professor Margherita Pagani, which studies how AI and related emerging technologies affect value creation in human interactions and consumer behavior.
- The AIM Research Center for Work and Organization, overseen by professor Ruthanne Huising which focuses on understanding the implications of artificial intelligence in employment and management.
emlyon business school graduate clubs organize events (sharing experiences, meeting with experts, testimonials, etc.) which focus on both the digital world and healthcare challenges (a digital club in Paris, a digital club in Lyon, a health club in Lyon).
Health is one of Mines Saint-Etienne’s areas of expertise, with its Center for Biomedical and Healthcare Engineering (CIS), a 65-person training and research center, including 40 doctoral and post-doctoral students. Located on the “Campus Santé Innovations” of Saint-Etienne University Hospital, the CIS has the up to date technical equipment to focus its activities on an advanced research and teaching in biomedical engineering and health science.
In addition to the immediate proximity to the hospital facilities and staff enabling effective clinical transfer, a “partnership space for R&D” (TEAM @ Mines Saint-Etienne) inside the CIS operates as a technological hotel for innovative start-ups in close cooperation with the CIS research. This specificity, unique for a “French Grande Ecole” allows the CIS to develop projects in a challenging environment.
To ensure an adequacy with the market needs, Mines Saint-Etienne has specialized programs in Data Science, Big Data and Artificial Intelligence. A part of the teaching is supported by the CIS and applied to health challenges, making Mine Saint-Etienne a major player in the field of Healthcare Data Intelligence.
Finally, the CIS benefits from the Open Lab, the Living Lab MedTechDesign and the 3D Fab Lab. These three #FutureMedicine labs, from the Saint-Etienne Tech program, are intended to make the current research, the local ecosystem and the users meet in order to design and develop the technologies of tomorrow.
It is important to note that many stakeholders within this health ecosystem gravitate to the area around Lyon and Saint Etienne, fully justifying the choice of the two partner schools to participate in this program alongside established industrial and institutional stakeholders:
- the Saint-Etienne region is home to three major medical device companies: Thuasne, Gibaud and Sigvaris
- Lyon and the surrounding area is home to the headquarters of several major laboratories: Sanofi, Merck Santé, Arrow Generics, Aguettant; Biomérieux, a leading laboratory in medical diagnostics; Biomnis, a major group of analytical laboratories; the competitive cluster Biopôle and more.
Relationships with companies in the context of tailor-made educational activities are also opportunities to monitor sectoral developments: emlyon business school has developed bespoke courses with originator and generic pharmaceutical laboratories (Arrow Generics, Bristol Myer Squibb, etc.), medical analysis laboratory groups (CERBA) AND medical device manufacturers (Stryker).
How is this Master of Science distinct or different from other Health Management programs with big data?
A lot of programs focus either on digital / artificial intelligence / data science or on health industry. It is very rare to be able to combine these two dimensions of activity sector and data intelligence expertise to benefit from a complete learning experience. As the engineering school Mines Saint Etienne and emlyon business school believe both are closely tight and now to be connected and addressed together, almost whatever job you may target, we have specifically developed this program to fit the markets’needs.
Data are everywhere, and engineers will need to go beyond traditional techniques and skills while managers need to grasp the effects and potential of artificial intelligence. Different profiles will have to collaborate within firms and organizations in order to implement transformations, develop new added value and build the future with ethics, knowledge and efficiency.
How can I prepare to start the program and understand the basics?
Suggested material to read:
- Doctor Laurent Alexandre on Artificial Intelligence at the Senate Round Table of 19 January 2017
- Straight talk about big data, McKinsey Quarterly, 2016
- Making data analytics work for you instead of the other way around, Gartner, 2016
- Anticiper les impacts économiques et sociaux de l’intelligence artificielle : France stratégie, mars 2017
- Internet of Things (IoT) in Healthcare Market Size, Share and Trend Analysis report by component, by connectivity technology, by application, by end-use, By region, and segment forecasts, 2011-2022
- Communiqué de presse « European Society of radiology and GE Healthcare announce exclusive artificial intelligence for ECR 2019 »
- Les Echos Etudes : Le big data dans la santé : quelles réalisations et perspectives en France
To learn more about the program, download useful documents by creating your account and accessing your personal space